Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WORMWOOD
Sep 16, 1999

hello. after nearly 2 months taking wormwood, cloves, and black walnut hull, my bDNA viral load dropped over 60 percent, from 65,000 to 22,000. my t-cell count, however, rose only moderately, from 290 to 340, which, i know, could be a natural fluctuation. my question, then, is whether or not such a decrease in my viral load is of any great signifigance. i have read that viral load can ONLY decrease through medicine and, so, i am curious as to how my viral load could decrease so dramatically with only herbs and such. or am i, merely, seeing a noteworthy improvement where none exists? thank you for any info.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Well, the "standard" fluctuation in viral load is about 2 fold - meaning if you were 65,000 - then a drop to about 32000 would be within the usual bounce we see. And this is just the standard amount of bounce - with just a little delay in processing or shipping - we can see a little more fluctuation. So it is hard to be sure that what you are seeing is more than just bouncing around.

One way is to check two values BEFORE your herbal mix - and then two values while on it. If both of your results before were above 60 thousand, and both results while on it were below 30 thousand, then maybe, just maybe, you're onto something here. If so - let us know. The CD4 counts do bounce around even more- you'd need bigger changes to be convinced that these plants are having a effect there.

Be cautious with wormwood however = it can have toxicity at higher doses. Including nausea, vomiting, cramps, and so on. Indeed - continuous use of this herb is not advised due to some of these side effects. Cloves however are considered safe.

good luck. CC

Previous
Triple nucleoside therapy
Next
Concerning Hairless Mike

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.