Treatment for nausea related to Cryptosporidium

I was diagnosed with Advanced HIV in February 2002. Since then I have dealt with PCP Pneumonia and other minor health issues. In August 2004 I was diagnosed with Cryptosporidium. Since then I have continuously had issues with constant nausea. I take Ziagen, Emtriva, Norvir, Reyataz, Dicyclomine, Lomotil, Lisinopril, and Zofran (8 mg four times a day) and Promethazine (50 mg four times a day) for the nausea. My nausea never seems to go away. I rarely throw up due to the nausea but I feel like my quality of life is effected greatly. It's a horrible feeling to have. My doctor is convinced that I'm taking adequate meds for the nausea. I am allergic to Compazine. Any suggestions?

Many people (including doctors) do not appreciate the misery associated with chronic nausea and its profound impact on quality of life. In the setting of nausea associated with HIV infection and its complications there are often strategies to help this symptom.

There are a number of questions that need to be answered to address this issue properly. The first question is whether your HIV infection is adequately addressed. Although you were diagnosed with advanced HIV 4 years ago, is the viral load undetectable and have you had a build up of the CD4 lymphocyte count? Cryptosporidiosis is rarely seen as a chronic infection anymore unless there is ongoing significant immunosuppression. There are medications which have activity against cryptosporidia, but generally getting HIV under control is sufficient to also clear this intestinal parasite. So a follow up question is whether you still have evidence of cryptosporidia on stool analysis? If cyptosporidia is still present and HIV infection is well controlled, then specific treatment is indicated. Has an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy been performed to exclude other GI problems since other infections like CMV or Helicobacter are possible and acid-related disorders may co-exist too.

There are also some other non-specific treatments for nausea such as Marinol (synthetic form of the active ingredient in marijuana), Reglan, and Tigan, Sometimes acid reducing agents can be helpful. Since you are on Reyataz the more potent proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec and Nexium should not be used, but Zantac and Pepcid could be considered.

If you can post with more details and answers to some of the questions above, I will try to come up with some ideas to help. Best of luck and take care.

treatment
How many doctors do I need?