Can therapy be simplified in the future?

Good morning - i was wondering...I was diagnosed with HIV back in 2003/April with a CD4 of 700 and a low viral load - a year later i was admitted to hospital with Kaposi, Mac and PCP - a skyrocketed viral load and a CD4 of 40. No one has any idea how or why even the HIV specialist in my area (Vancouver B.C) - after getting over the PCP i went thru a denial stage and tried to live without the help of meds and lasted another 6 months however was admitted again to hospital with severe PCP and a zero CD4. Now 2 years later i have a CD4 of 250 and an undetectable viral load. I do not mind the meds as i have always taken many vitamins on a daily basis whats 5 more pills? I really feel normal and am very healthy. Now, my question is: If a better regimen comes thru the pipeline (less pills) - am i able to switch? What if one day they have a regimen of 1 pill a week - can i switch? Find a cure people!! I want to thank-you for your hard work - i appreciate it this site!

Patrick

Hello and thanks for posting.

I am glad to hear that you are doing well on therapy after enduring a course of rapid disease progression.

If a better regimen comes through the pipeline you are able to switch. We simplify and adjust drug combinations all the time in response to newer and better agents. Indeed, it is the rare patient who remains on a circa 1996 regimen of AZT, 3TC, and Crixivan.

I like the idea of one pill once a week and I certainly share your sentiments about the need for a cure!

Trizivir vs combivir
Changing regmen from Crixivan