CD4 Count Low

I am newly diagnosed (1 month). I found out when I had contracted PCP and nearly died. My CD4 cell count is 11 (not 110... eleven) and my viral load is 55,000. I have been put on a HAART with Abacavir (Ziagen), Lamivudine (Epivir) and Efivirenz (Stockrin). Is this the right regimen for me and what are my chances of survival until/if my immune system recovers? BTW: I contracted HIV heterosexually in Asia (I live there).

Thanks for your post.

I"m glad to hear that you've recovered from PCP.

The regimen that you're taking is a very good one and for the vast majority (~95%) of patients, is very well tolerated and effective. Indeed, I'll assume that you're taking all of your pills at once, at bedtime-- making this one of the more popular once-daily combos.

It's important while taking this (and other) HIV medications to develop effective communications with your doctors; particularly in the event that you should develop any side effects from your medications.

If you can successfully navigate the straights of adherence and side effects, I see no reason why you should go on to live for many, many years.

Best, BY

Help on meds
hiv/aids coughing up blood