next options

I was put on HIV meds (Sustiva and Truvada) for the first time a couple of weeks ago. After ten days, I developed a servere rash over most of my body. My doctor has taken me off the drugs and I will see him in a week and a half. Can you give me a couple of possibilities of which drugs I might take next? I never felt comfortable about taking Sustiva and am looking for different options that I can research. Thanks.

Thanks for your post.

I'd agree that it's probably a efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) rash.

You've got a number of options; depending on CD4 and gender, nevirapine (Viramune) would be the alternative non-nuke; a different approach would be to substitute with a boosted PI, like lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra), fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir)/ritonavir (Norvir) or atazanavir (Reyataz)/ritonavir.

All are viable and generally well tolerated options-- I'd speak to you doctor about which ones would be most appropriate for you.

Good luck, thanks for posting. BY

What next?
better understanding