The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What next?

May 17, 2006

My most recent test shows resistance to everything. I have been on just Kaletra for past six months. my vl got down close to undetectable for first time in 18 years of drugs,but is back up to 5000. Ts have been falling a little each time period and are now at 220. I have an opportunity to get in a tmc114 trial now. Do you think I should do this mono or wait till another new drug comes along so I can do two at the same time.

Response from Dr. Wohl

I would not blow TMC114, which may (MAY) have some effect against your virus and would couple this drug with at least another 1 (or 2) agents that might also work.

Are you or have you ever been on Fuzeon? If not, this plus TMC114 might be an option. Some centers are also studying integrase inhibitors and some of these studies do permit TMC114. Entering an integrase study where you have a high chance of getting active drug and also starting TMC114 + Fuzeon (if you have never been on it) would give you a good chance of getting this virus under control again.

Another alternative is to see if your virus is sensitive to tipranavir. A presistance test (both genotype and phenotype) could be useful here. If your virus is sensitive to this drug it could be used as an alternative to TMC114.

Bottom line: don't waste a single agent. Combine new drugs with at least another drug likely to work.


next options

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint