mycobacterium avium complex

I'm a healthy woman in my 60's. Iwas diagnosed with MAC about a year and a half ago. I was prescribe a cocktail o ethambutol, rifampin and biaxin. I was allergic to the first two. I have been taking Ketek 400mg 2 tablets once daily and avelox 400 mg 1 tablet once daily, for one year. The latest ct scan showed no improvement but my condition is no worse. My specialist is recommending adding clofazimine. I have read that this drug is dangerous and is not recommended for the treatment of MAC. Question #1 Is this disease life threatening in a normally healthy person? Question #2 I am nervous about taking clofazimine.What if I stopped taking any treatment for this ?

This forum is for HIV-infected persons. MAC is an infection that HIV+ folks can get, but usually it is spread throughout the body, rather than being isolated to the lungs. I will say that it is unusal to be allergic to ethambutol and rifampin so, I wonder what your allergy was. Also, why are you not on clarithromycin - the best medicine found to treat this infection?

Clofazimine is a last resort. It is used in some cases as are drugs like amikacin. Talk to your lung doctor, who hopefully has expertise in this area.

Interaction of medicines
Things are Happening Fast