discontinue Hiv Med

Dear Dr. I was treated in primary/acute infection in 1999, My cd4 was 785,vl was 775,000,(however when diluted out \vlwas in the very high millions presently my cd4 1700 46%. I've moved to another state. the Dr.s said that I should come off of the meds. My understanding is that treatment in acute infection is the way to go. I was in a study at MGH for this. I also understand that higher set points mean faster progression. What are your thoughts on me stopping meds?

Thanks for your post.

Your's remains an area of treatment controversy; there are data that suggest that the theoretical benefits of starting medications during acute infection are not huge, numerically speaking.

If you were my patient and were tolerating medications well, I'd offer you the option to continue or stop-- stopping medications should be monitored closely (and if your taking a NNRTI, make sure to discuss the details with your current or past doc).

For now, we don't know if starting earlier translates to significant benefits- some theoretical possiblities for immune-based therapies leaves open the possiblity that your preserved immunity will be of benefit.

I hope this helps. Good luck, BY

USA doctor
worried