Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To start antivirals or not to start
May 14, 2006

Hi again, I asked a question last week on May 4 and received your response right away. Thank you. I now have another quick question. I have been taking a medication break for the past six months and was expecting to resume once I received my latest lab results. In May: CD4 426, CD4/lymph ratio 23% and VL 1450. In April: CD4 749, CD4/lymph ratio 31%, VL 1824. It seems like I can safely wait a little longer before resuming medications. My question is: Do these numbers seem worrisome to you or encouraging? I know there's variability from day to day, but a jump from 23% to 31% seems pretty substantial. I'd like to stay off meds a little longer, if it's prudent, because I stopped originally d/t side effects. Thanks again for your imput.

Response from Dr. Wohl

There has been a pretty large drop in your CD4 cell counts over a short period of time - which is a bit strange as your viral load off meds is pretty low.

I would check it again soon and see what the absolute and percent CD4 cell counts are. IF there is a continued decline in both, I'd consider a restart with something your are less likely to have a problem tolerating.

DW

Previous
MEDS FOREVER
Next
What are these sores in my mouth & on my butt?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.