do i need genotypic test?

Hi Dr. Young, I am about to go on meds for the first time. My doctor told me that i don't need genotypic test. The clinic i went to is non-profit center and my doctor refused to do genotypic test even i offer to pay for the test. My question is should i get my genotypic test somewhere else and bring it to my doctor? I have no insurance but i could afford to pay for this test now. And how do i find out which clinics have genotypic test? I am currently living in Los Angeles. Thank you very much.

Thanks for your post.

Your doctor is behind the times and behind the most recent DHHS HIV treatment guidelines.

Current guidelines recommend obtaining HIV drug resistance testing for all treatment naive persons, irrespsective of time from initial infection. In places with high rates of transmitted resistance (like Los Angeles), getting proper information about the potential for resistance can be the difference between success and failure of first line HIV treatments. I can see no reason why I wouldn't request such testing in a patient like you.

If it's possible to have an open discussion, I'd copy last week's treatment guidelines and suggest that the test be run. There are many clinics in the LA area that have performed resistance testing as standard of care for many years.

I'd suggest contacting your local AIDS service organization (check out ASOfinder.com) for locations of clnics where testing might be provided.

Good luck, BY

update
speaking of resistance