sos

dr. Young, i am 46, asian, and have hepb for >>20 yrs. my dr recently prescribed adefovir as my liver enzymes are ~150, and my viral load ~78million copies. iam a single parent and this made me very tired and weak . is there an alternative?iam also worried about the nephrotoxicity and the worsen effect on the liver once med stop. what can i do if i have to stop this med (kidney/liver problem or resistance)? thank you for answering this as i cant afford consulting a hepatologist right now and iam very worried about my condition. sincerely, ieselene

Thanks for your post.

Yes, there are a number of alternative medications for the treatment of HBV. First off, stopping the medication shouldn't be too much of an issue, if your having significant side effects. Yes, there is the possibility of the HBV flairing and this should be monitored.

Should you need to resume treatment for the hepatitis, know that there are a number of alternative medications, including lamivudine and entecavir. Lamivudine (3TC) and it's cousing FTC (emtricitabine) as well as tenofovir are also used to treat HIV, but have significant HBV activity too.

I hope this helps, BY

eradicate
Returning to first regimen