The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: unusual situation virgin HIV+
May 1, 2006

Dr thanks for your reply. I am a virgin at my current age, 24rs. I was tested with WBT Not Elisa.

I had complicated illness in 1990, when I was a baby that developed to be chronic osteomyelitis in 1996 after my second operation.

I started experiencing sever bone pain and inflammation. So there is no way I could have contacted this if I dont go for further testing and considering that my viral load has remained the same for such a long time (over 10 months) (1400) without medication.

My doctor believed that my infection is less than 2 years but how in the world did I get it within two years of abstinence? I have planned to discuss this with him next time I see him because my chronic bone inflamation might be intefering with the result. These proteins can behave diffrently for some illness. Should I?

Response from Dr. Wohl

I would make sure you had an ELISA and Western blot. IF these are both positive AND you have an HIV viral load of 1000 or so, I would think this is actual infection. I am unsure how you get a false positive antibody tests as well as a false positive test that really checks for the virus.

If you are in the US or Europe, more sophisticated testing can be done, including culture of your virus and testing with different viral load assays.

Also, you mention surgeries. If you received a blood transfusion or other blood products and live in country where screening for HIV at that time was not done or not rigorous, that could be a potential source of infection.


seroconversion, treatment and future

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint