Updated Meds Issue on Blided Study

Dr. Ben, It's Erics friend again with a quick upadte on my muscle pain. Thanks so much for your input and expertise. Approximately 22 hours after my last does of the Epzicom/Truvada (whichever I'm on) the leg pain decreased dramatically. Within 28 hours of stopping the meds the pain was no more than an aching which resembled exhausted muscles rather than the type of pain I had been having. I had been up pacing for approximately 88 of the previous 96 hours. Overnight I slept for 3 1/2 hours without waking up. (3X the sleep I had been getting). I was a bit restless the rest of the night with some minor aching. Today there is some slight muscle soreness like I've overused the muscles and my ankles ache periodically. But no return of the constant high pain level of before. Eric did post a thread about Epzicom hypersensitivity reactions in the Living With forum. One article indicated that 5% of individuals with Abacavir hypesensitivity had only one major symptom. And overall, 33% of the patients with this hypersensitivity had myalgia as a symptom. I know this is on the edge, but my big concern now is restarting the same meds without knowing for sure that I'm not on the Epzicom and that this was absolutely NOT related to hypersensitivity. It started in the right time frame and it continued to build in intensity until I stopped the meds. Any more insights? Thanks so much!

Thanks for the follow up--

It's good to hear that you're feeling better.

I'd be quite surprised if this was an abacavir hypersensitivity reaction-- certainly could be a side effect of medication (Truvada or Epzicom), but I'd be pretty clear that is wasn't HSR. Myalgia alone would be quite unusual as a HSR symptom in our experience.

Nonetheless, if your doctor thinks that it's ok to resume medications, I'd probably do so under close monitoring.

I know this doesn't give you an absolute answer, but hope that it helps. BY

epzicom truvada,kaletra study
HIV