starting meds again, help!gain help!

Hi Doc, I recently started Sustiva and Epzicom on 4/13/06. The first 9 days went fine, although I could not get a good night's sleep and I woke up every morning feeling woozy/disoriented. On the 10th day I awakened with my eyes and lips swollen about 10 times their normal size. I also had a severe itchy rash throughout my entire body (back, face, chest, arms, legs, neck,ears,etc). I called the emergency helpline of my healthcare provider and the attending physician told me to stop taking the meds immediately, and to pop some benadryl. Apparently I was having an allergic reaction to the meds. Now I'm in a bind. First line treatment did not work for me and now I'm hesitant to take anything else. My viral load is around 100,000 and my t cells are about 480 (11% cd4s).

What do I do now? Why didn't the treatment work for me? Can you suggest a regime that might work. Pill count is not that important to me (although less pills would be easier to manage). I am more concerned about being able to sleep at night and feeling less disoriented in the mornings. I am allergic to shellfish and I do get seasonal allergies. I've never had an OI (yet) and my systems are working fine (heart, liver, kidneys, lungs,etc.) Good cholesterol numbers, good BP,etc.

Can you suggest some treatment options that I might try. I return back to my healthcare provider in about one week.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

You had a bad reaction to one of these meds. This happens and can happen with lots of medications including those not related to HIV. If you had pneumonia and received an antibiotic that you became allergic to, would you swear off all antibiotics?

You may have had a reaction to abacavir, a med in Epzicom. This can occur in 5-10% of people. Sustiva can also cause a rash.

There are lots of other choices. I can understand your reluctance to go back on treatment. However, you will need to be on therapy. There is no rush. You can afford to wait a few weeks. When the time comes to try again, I would favor avoiding abacavir and Sustiva and instead would recommend Truvada plus Reyataz and Norvir. Once a day, four pills, potent. Try it and tell us how it goes.

T-cell counts and Viral load
blip or resistance?