I NEED TO GET YELLOW FEVER VACCINE FOR JOB!

Dear Dr Wohl,

I am a 27yr old lad from N.Ireland.I have been diagnosed with HIV 2yrs in August and on the right combination of drugs past 7months now which are working really well and getting on with my life. I travelled over to london 2months ago for an interview with a Airline for cabin Crew. I received notification i got the job 3days later and they sent me a medical questionnaire which i told them the truth about my condition and now they are saying to my Hospital consultant i need the YELLOW FEVER vacine to travel world wide. My consultant says i cant get it cause its a live virus but i did alot of research on this and found out that there has been medical evidence by trials that the live virus does not effect the HIV virus so can i get it or not?? I really want this job and to move away and start a new life what can i do..i feel the airline are putting up walls in my path and my doctors arent helpig either...but im not giving up..please advice me on this matter. Thanks R

While live vaccines are contraindicated in persons with AIDS, if your CD4 is high (>500) I would say the risk of any badness from this shot is very low. Plus, if you are going to be jetting into places where yellow fever laden mosquitoes are a-buzz, having some protection may be good for you.

However, if you can not find someone to give you the shot, find out if the airline will allow you to forego the vaccine if you have a medical note stating that you can not take the vaccine due to a health condition. If you were allergic to the vaccine, they could not make you take it. You may want to add that you will not hold them responsible if you do develop yellow fever while on lay-over.

Lastly, and just between you and me, if all else fails, you can ask your doc to fill out the form stating you got the shot even though she did not administer it to you. I know it is sneaky but the motive is to bypass bureaucracy, not your health.

unusual situation virgin HIV+
AIDS and H.I.V