starting meds

Hi Dr. Young, this is a follow-up question to the one I asked a week ago. I took my first dose of meds (sustiva and epzicom) yesterday(4/13/06). 2 pills once a day at night. I woke up this morning feeling a little woozy. I know this is normal, but I can't help but worry as to when the horrible side effects will start. Is this an unrealistic fear? Any suggestions on how to cope?

Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks for your follow up.

It's good to hear back from you. The woozy feeling that you're experiencing is very common and usually at it's worst after the first dose. Sounds like your experiences haven't been too bad; they should continue to decline with time. I don't think that you have to be fearful of side effects, only attentive to their possibility.

The only other issue to be aware of is the abacavir allergic reaction (abacavir hypersensitivity reaction). This is a mixed group of symptoms of fever, rash, muscle aches, respiratory and gastrointestinal problems. These symptoms start gradually and worsen with subsequent doses. Should you develop this worsening pattern of symptoms, be sure to contact your doctor.

Good luck, BY

Timing of meds: every day exactly the same?
resistance to CCR5 inhibitors