Response to New Kaletra

I'm responding to the person who, on April 1, 2006 was having problems with 'loose bowels' after switching to the new kaletra pills.

I too had the problem, but neither the question writer or Dr. Young mentioned frequency/number of pills taken.

The new pills can be taken both at the same time, which wreaked havoc on my digestive system. Take one in the AM and one at night. It worked for me.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but sometimes we forget that.

SV

Thanks for your post and comments.

Taking lopinavir/ritonavir once daily can result in a greater frequency of gastrointestinal side effects. This is likey true whether one uses the old capsule or new tablet formulation.

Yes, the tablets can be taken once daily (4 tablets) or 2 tablets twice daily. The twice daily dosing sometimes is of benefit for patients who have GI issues.

I want to be clear, though-- you mention taking 1 tablet twice daily-- this is not the recommended dose of the medication. I'd double check with your doctor if this was the intended prescription. BY

T-Cell Count
Clarity