Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I start taking meds immeidately?
Apr 10, 2006

I just tested postive for HIV (like two days ago) and I am still freaking out. I am asymptomatic now, except for what I am almost sure are swollen lymph nodes in the lower front of my neck. After I get my confirmation, test results, I have to follow up with the standard blood work. Even if I don't need meds yet, should I insist to my doctor that I start them now? I don't want to endure the feeling of not doing anything while this disease kills off my immune system. Isn't it better to be aggressive in the beginning and suppress the disease to undetectable in the blood before your CD4 drops to a point when you have to do so?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Except in the rare case of acute HIV infection (still HIV antibody test negative), most doctors do not recommend starting on treatment immediately after diagnosis.

I do agree that it's better to be proactive than reactive when it comes to HIV disease, only that I'll wait to see what your labwork looks like (including CD4 count, viral load, HIV resistance tests, hepatitis and TB testing) before making recommendations.

Good luck, BY

Previous
Choosing the best meds
Next
strange results... medication in sight?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.