Choosing the best meds

I was just diagnosed HIV + (3/22/06). I am overwhelmed, and my mind is in overtime. One of the most important things Im concerned with is what meds would be the best for me. I am physically challenged, and therefore I can not get to the bathroom quickly. I need to know which meds that do not have side-effects, such as diarrhea or nausea (vomiting)?

Thanks for your post and sorr to hear about your recent diagnosis.

First off, not everyone who's recently diagnosed goes onto treatment-- depending on your CD4 counts, it could be a very long time before you need to start.

There are medications that only rarely cause gastrointestinal side effects- for example non-nucleoside (non-nuke)-based treatments usually don't cause much in the way of nausea or diarrhea. Newer PIs, like atazanavir and fosamprenavir, likewise seem to cause a lower frequency of GI side effects.

So, let's wait for your lab work before being overwhelmed about medications. Being HIV+ is reason enough to have stress.

Write back anytime with questions, BY

syphillis and HIV
Should I start taking meds immeidately?