syphillis and HIV

Dear Doc i am a foreign chinese now base and work in China. as you may know, any foreigners found to be positive will be deported. about a year and half back, through complete health screening out of china, i found myself to be positive. the authorities are not aware and is thus continuing to renew my permit. having read and followed your forum, i have slowly came to terms with my condition and is seeking medical followup in thailand. but alas, i have careless this one time and now i have contracted syphillis. the thai doc has given me a treatment of penicillin two days back. may i know what are the long terms health effect for me? Do i assume that penicillin completely rid me of the syphillis or there is something i will have to continuously monitor from now on beside my CD4 (now 429) CD4% (14.4%) and VL (now 22700). these readings are done two days back but prior to this I did a test in Jan where CD4 is 430, CD4% 13% and VL is 7000. Thanks for your attention....

Thanks for your post.

Syphillis infection can be very well treated in patients with HIV with injection(s) of penicillin- the number of doses depends on when you were exposed and your current symptoms.

There are serologic (antibody) tests that we use to monitor patient with HIV and syphillis-- typically called the RPR. RPR levels should remain low in patients who have been successfully treated; increased RPR titers would be concerning for recurrence.

With your lower CD4%, I'd want to keep an eye on your response a little more closely, a check in 6 months would be reasonable.

Be safe out there, BY

Heartfelt thanks
Choosing the best meds