What are correct meds for newly diagnosed?

I was recently diagnosed with below 200 count and high viral load. What would be the probable medicine I would start with? I am not sure my Doctor really knows his stuff!

Hello and thanks for posting.

There are many choices for initial therapy of HIV infection but it primarily comes down to a choice between NNRTI and PI -based therapy. NNRTI's include Sustiva and Viramune and examples of PIs include Kaletra, Reyataz, and Lexiva. Most protease inhibitors are given along with low dose Norvir to boost their levels and enhance potency. Kaletra already has Norvir co-formulated in the tablet.

Here is a link to the DHHS guidelines for HIV treatment if you want to read up the rationale behind the expert recommendations. One way to see if you clinician knows his stuff is to see if the guidelines are followed. If a recommendation is made that deviates from the guideline then a cogent explanation of why a different regimen was chosen is appropriate. It is by no means wrong to deviate from the guidelines and in practice I do it all the time since the guidelines updates tend to lag behind advances in therapy. But serious thought and careful consideration must go in to individual treatment decisions.

Best of luck to you!

Stopping Norvir as booster
Toxic Drugs Becoming A Fading Issue?