tested positive and no visible signs

hi - i tested negative in 03 and 04. last week tested again and my primary doctor was shocked that i tested positive. my normal blood work is excellent -wbc/rbc and lymps. my cd count is 360. i have no symptoms except, occassional diarrhea. i do smoke and work as an executive and have not been sick in 5 years of any kind. im seeing a specialist in this area to go over all my options. the tragic part of this is not hiv - but my mom in the same week found out has terminal pancreatic/liver cancer. she is 61. never smoked etc.. to say that is a shock is an understatement. i have found a strength i never knew i had and was afraid to get upset that it may make me sick(immune). this i will tell the specialist when i see him for the first time this week. i have surprised myself by how strong i am and yes i have told my sister and best friend of my status. shocked that as my doctor stated, they never could tell. i plan to start going to the gym and taking care of myself better(eating). something i never cared much about. going to see a therapist also. i take half a pill to calm my down about my mom when i feel its needed and it helps. i do not drink - but yes smoke cigs. i know more and thank you for this site - alot of articles or websites - can be scary. the sad think is i know many poz men who do heavy drugs and still take their meds. thats just crazy. anything you can tell me about what i should ask the specialist would be great. thank you for a great website.

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues of your family.

With your new HIV doctor-- I'd start by asking about their experience with HIV (how many years in practice, how many patients under direct care); does he or she attend continuing medical education or national-level conferences?

With regard to your health-- ask about your CD4 cell count, viral load and drug resistance status; it's also important to ask about evaluation for other co-infections (hepatitis, TB) and plans for monitoring.

Good health to you, write back after you get some of the details. BY

Stop PI once undetected - any new research?
Doctors Address