Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drug Failure. Over 40.000 desperate patients.
Apr 9, 2006

Dear Dr. Young: It is not my case as I am not yet on meds (CD4: 609-27.8% and VL: 15.232) but there are over 40.000 people suffering Anti-HIV drug failure and desperately waiting for new drugs. What can they do? Am I going to be in the same situation in 15 years time? What are the big pharma companies waiting for to develop new medications? They would make great profits and that is a good motivation. What can these 40.000 people expect from future meds? What can people like me (not on meds yet) expect from the future? Thank you Dr. Young for your valuable an optimistic answers. John (Madrid-Spain)

Response from Dr. Young

Hola John--

Thanks for your post.

In actuality, there are probably a lot more patients than just 40,000 who have drug resistance. In the US, it's estimated that as many as 50% of patients may have some measure of resistance. In spite of this gloomy observation, most patients are doing very well; newer options offer viral suppresion with regimens that are often very well tolerated.

The HIV drug pipeline is actually very robust with lots of very encouraging recent data-- take a look at recent data on CCR5- and integrase inhibitors from the 2006 CROI meeting (meeting summaries available on TheBody.com) for a overview.

I also believe that because of increased potency, better tolerabiilty and understanding of adherence that we'll actually see fewer patients failing first- and certainly second-line treatments.

I hope this helps. Buenos suerte. BY

Previous
Which meds?
Next
Medication

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.