Meds

Hi there, I would just like to find out. My son is 10 years old and is HIV+, he has changed meds to Kaletra, 3TC and Truvada. What is your opinion on these meds. His liver is abit enlarged and his face is abit sunken.

Thanks for your post, mom--

I'm a little confused (perhaps your son's doctor is confused)-- Truvada is the combination of tenofovir with FTC; there's no reason to use FTC with 3TC (indeed, the drugs are virologically speaking, clones).

Truvada with lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) is a potent combination that is generally well tolerated; some patients have difficulty with gastrointestinal side effects from lopinavir/ritonavir. The justification for switching and the selection of medications has a lot to do with his past treatment history and any issues related to drug resistance.

As for his liver enlargement and facial sunkeness-- there's need to continue to monitor your son's labs and symptoms following a change in any medications.

Best wishes to him and you, let us know how he's doing. BY

Tenefovir, Emtriva and Fosamprenavir for wild type virus
Which meds?