Sustiva+Truvada

Dear Doctor Young,

A few weeks ago I asked you a question about new side effects (light peripheral neuropathy, nausea, rash, feeling tired...) after a change in meds from epivir to emtriva (both with sustiva and viread). I had no side effects at all before the change.

You mentioned in your reply that there are a minority of people that, like in my case, did not tolerate emtriva as well as they had done epivir.

I stuck with emtriva a few weeks longer while I waited for my appontment with the doctor to ask him a change back to epivir. But in the mean time most (if not all) of the side effects have resolved. I am not feeling that horrible tingling in my hands, nor am I feeling nausea and I am feeling less and less tired.

Apparently peripheral neuropathy and lypodistrophy are both thought to be related to toxicity in mithocondria. I was wondering whether, even though the side effects have resolved, I should still go back to epivir in case emtriva is still damaging nerve and fat cells, or at least, more so than epivir was.

Is that a silly question?! ;-)

Thanks so much again!!

Thanks for your follow up and question. There are very few treatment-related silly questions here.

Sounds like you simply had an unusual and short-lived side effect of the emtricitabine (FTC)-- as such, I don't think that I'd worry about having long-term issues (at least the same ones) and you can proably just continue on Truvada.

I'd mention your symptoms and their improvement to your doctor, just to be sure.

Best, BY

Testosterone and Fat Loss
Truvada + Sustiva