HIV type 1 and 2
Apr 6, 2006
Dear doctor, what is the different between HIV type 1 and type 2? Why HIV needs to enter the CD4 cell to duplicate themselves?
Response from Dr. Wohl
HIV-1 is the type of HIV that you hear the most about. HIV-2 is a related virus that also can lead to AIDS but is found mostly in parts of west Africa and the Caribbean.
HIV (1 and 2) needs to hijack the cell to make copies of itself. It uses the cell's machinary to make more viral proteins that are assembled to make more virus. Without us, HIV is nothing.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Oral Ulcers After Swallowing Cum Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Rash After Blowjob Worried I Have HIV
- Rash After Rubbing Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Pubic Lice If You Have No Pubic Hair?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.