Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help me
Apr 6, 2006

Dear dr DW, I am Male 34 yrs old, having 2 kids. recently I went for the medical checkup and doctor said,I am weakly HIV positive and ask me to come another checkup after 1 month. This had happened last year medical checkup also, after the second checkup of last year, doctor said nothing wrong, you are fit. But I am sure, I am not positive, because till now I a had sex only my wife. before the marriage never had a sex with anybody and never use drug in my life. I have to clear one more thing, that i get some rash on my chest and back last five years. but it's like pimples on the face, it comes and goes. so I didnt take much care of it. please tell me the reason why I get weakly HIV positive result when I go for medical checkup. I expect your anwer soon. thank you for your wounderful service

Response from Dr. Wohl

Some people will test positive on the ELISA test used to screen for HIV but be negative on the confirmatory Western blot test. These people are not HIV infected. If you have a history of persistent positive ELISA and negative Western blot, I would stop checking these tests.

Some with rheumatologic disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus or people with other illnesses may have falsely positive ELISA tests.

DW

Previous
question about labs & clinical trail
Next
HIV type 1 and 2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.