elevated LFT's

I have been taking sustiva and Truvada now 2 weeks. Also on Zoloft 50 @hs and serequel 25@hs. My cd4 has gone from 68 to 100 in 2 weeks, but my liver functions are "200" I'm concerned about my increased LFT's....is it wise to stop zoloft/serequel to give the liver less of a load . My Dr. said they may have to stop the hiv meds if it gets too high above 200's....concerned about resistance if I stop

Were your liver tests within the normal range before you started your HIV medications? Have you been on Zoloft and Seroquel for a while and does your psychiatrist feel you absolutely need to take these? Do you have active hepatitis B or C?

If we assume your lab tests were normal beforehand while you were on the Zoloft and Seroquel then I would also be concerned that your HIV meds are to blame. The bad news is you may need to stop and then restart with a different combo. The good news is stopping your HIV meds cold turkey is very unlikely to risk resistance.

If stopping the HIV meds results in normalization of your liver tests, I would consider a restart with Truvada and a protease inhibitor. If your viral load is not too high and your have not taken HIV meds prior, I would consider Lexiva without the traditional use of Norvir boosting.

If your liver test problems persist, you should be evaluated by a liver specialist to rule out underlying liver diseases.

Dear Dr. Wohl
Supplements