Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need your help please!!!
Mar 22, 2006

Dear Dr. Young,

My sister in Vietnam is just diagnosed with HIV pos on Jan. 16, 06. One week later, she got her blood test again. Below are her 2nd test result: Lymph Events - 4218; Bead Events - 1755; cd3 + %Lymph - 73; cd3 + Abs Cnt - 1762; cd3 + cd8 + %Lymph - 53 (Hi); cd3 + cd8 + abs cnt - 1270 (Hi); cd3 + cd4 +%Lymph - 17 (Lo); cd3 + cd4 + abs cnt - 409 (Lo); cd3 + cd4 + cd8 + %Lymph - 0; cd3 + cd4 + cd8 + abs cnt - 2; cd45 + abs cnt - 2399 t h/s ratio - 0.32 (Lo).

Would you please educated me a little bit about these results? What stage is my sister in right now? Her doctor in VN has her taking Thymomodulin and some vitamins. My sister is in very good health right now. There is no symtoms at all that tells she is sick. If her employer didn't ask her to do the blood test, she would know that she got infected. Everyone in my family is in a big shock right now. Especially my sister, she's very depressed. We still don't know why she got infected. Can you please help us? What do I need to do to support her at this time? I'm currently living in the U.S. and she lives in VN now.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for taking your time to read my questions.

Warmest Regards to you and your family!

nva

Response from Dr. Young

Dear NVA,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. The essential piece of information is that she feels well-- this means that she has asymptomatic HIV disease (called CDC class A). As for her tests, the important ones are:

cd3 + cd4 +%Lymph - 17 (Lo); cd3 + cd4 + abs cnt - 409 (Lo)

These lab results are often simplified to mean that the CD4 absolute count is 409, the CD4 percentage is 17. Your sister's CD4 absolute count is in the normal range (>350), the percentage is somewhat below normal.

While I usually like to get a couple of lab tests in order to get a picture of the average and prognosis, taken together, these data points suggest that your sister is not at great risk of having an HIV-related complication, nor will need to start medications for HIV in the immediate future.

At this time, the best advice for concerned family members is to be supportive of your sister's needs and emotions; make sure that she's got access to adequate nutrition and qualified (or experienced) medical professionals. I like to see repeat CD4 cell counts every 3-6 months, minimally in order to be able to act proactively to start HIV medications (I understand these are now becoming available in Vietnam).

Good luck, best wishes to you and your sister. BY

Previous
have an cdr count of 125 with a viral lod in the millions
Next
Change in Mediation-Epzicom and body fat redistribution.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.