Dr. Young, Please clear this Up For Me!

Hi Dr. Young,

My question is a frank one. I want to be tested for Hiv-1 to know where I stand, but I cannot get a clear answer. I already checked the testing site on this site and did not get one. Now, does the standard Hiv-1 test automatically pick Hiv-2, or do you need a specific test that is designed to pick up both Hiv-1&2 or just Hiv-2, they have both, because some test sites and med offices say you need a specific test for Hiv-2, and some say you don't. I am confused and want to know because it is cheaper to just do the standard Hiv-1 test. Thank you so much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated.

Maria in S.F.

Thanks for your post.

Standard (US-based) HIV antibody tests screen for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. BY

hiv updates
how long to take medication