Choosing medication combination

Greetings from SA, Pretoria. My last Viral Load was 152 000 and CD4 count of 193. My doctor suggested I start treatment and prescribed Stavudine 30mg, 3TC 150mg, Stocrin and Purbac. I have not started treatment yet as I wanted to investigate this combination first, is this the right combination to start with? One thing that worries at this stage is the painful sensation and rush that I get in my hands and face, I also have some vericose veins,occasional severe migraine, my question is how will this combination effect me. VIVI SA

Thanks for your email. In most parts of the world where HIV medications are widely available, stavudine is avoided. It is known to cause peripheral neuropathy (burning, tingling and/or numbness) of feet and hands, wasting of limb and face fat, raise levels of lactate in the body which can cause symptoms and raise cholesterol and triglycerides.

However, in places where this drug is really the only affordable choice, it is best to use it rather than succumb to HIV. The good news is that these side effects do not happen to everyone who takes stavudine. Many tolerate the drug just fine.

Stocrin and 3TC are good drugs and commonly used world-wide. Purbac is an antibiotic used to prevent pneumonia and should be taken.

So, if there are no other options, it is worth taking the drugs your doctor prescribed and seeing how you tolerated them. If there is a choice, I would recommend either Combivir (AZT+3TC) or tenofovir + either 3TC or FTC (tenofovir+FTC = Truvada) to take along with the Stocrin.

high lactic acid and chol
Re:Epivira