RE: Food With Sustiva

Hi Doctor Wohl,

I was reading a prior post regarding food with Sustiva which concerned me. Is it really that vital to have an empty stomach before taking the Sustiva/Truvada combo? I also have a tendency to eat late and quite often I take my meds at around 9:30pm with a relatively full stomach. Sometimes I take my meds within the same hour after I eat a meal. I've been on this combo for a year and have had very good results but now I'm worried that I might be screwing something up. My doctor never emphasized the meal timing issue when taking this combo. Thanks for your help.

-C.

Sustiva can be taken with or without food. The issue is that when taken with food, the absorbsion of the drug is increased. In some people this can lead to more problems with side effects.

If you eat and take Sustiva and all is well, there are no worries.

Change in Mediation-Epzicom
high lactic acid and chol