Acid Reflux

Doctor, First of all Thank you, you guys are a huge help. I take 150mg of Zantac everyday for past 8 yrs. I am about start my medication for HIV. What medications you think could interact or worsen the situation for me. I also have anxiety problem(No medication)

Thank You Verumuch.

Thanks for your post.

There are some potential interactions between stomach acid lowering agents and HIV medications-- mostly with the protease inhibitors (atazanavir, especially). Zantac is one of the lesser potent stomach acid drugs and has less critical interactions.

If I were your doctor, I'd also want to know more about why you need chronic Zantac-- is there an untreated underlying disorder, like gastritis or ulcers that could be better treated? Could a different antacid, taken as needed get the job done?

Certainly make sure that if and when the time comes to start medications for HIV that you discuss the possibility of drug-drug interactions with your doctor and your pharmacist.

Good luck, good health to you. BY

platlets
Anti-HIV Therapy