The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need informations about my condition

Mar 15, 2006

HI !

I am 37 years old, diagnosed with HIV in 1992, and never took any HIV medication or treatment and never had CD4's drop or detectable viral load since I was diagnosed. I don't know why and I was tested several times after to make sure I am really HIV positive ( I am, according to the tests result ). My doctor told me that I could be a " long term non progressor " and he said that it's rare and that he does not have much information to give me about my condition. Can you tell me more about this ? I guess I am very lucky, but I would like to understand why I don't need meds, have no symptoms, etc. It's hard to explain that to my family and friends, they say I am NOT HIV positive, so.. Can you help me to understand more ?

Thanks !!

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Yes, indeed, you are one of the rare lucky ones (<1% of patients) who have confirmed HIV antibodies ("HIV+") but undetectable viral loads-- patients like you are the group that we call long-term non-progressors, because there is little or no decline in the CD4 cell counts over time.

We're not sure exactly why this occurs, but it has something to do with a very good innate immune response to HIV and/or a crippled virus.

A search on "long-term non-progressors" should help fill in some of the gaps for you.

Best, BY

answers about my mom

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint