Starting Chemo with low CD4?

My father has just finished treatment for TB and recently begun anti-viral medicine to combat HIV. He started at a CD4 count of 53 and came up to 80 and has now dipped back down to 60. He very recently had a tumor removed from his intestine. The results of the biopsy read, "white solid mass (9x4x4cm)," and "The tumour tissue infiltrating the entire bowel wall including the mesentery. All four lymph nodes are totally replaced by the tumour tissue." with a conclusion of "Colon Ca (4 N2 M0)."

He has been told that he can't start any treatment now because his CD4 count is too low.

I haven't had a chance to speak to his doctor directly because he is in Ethiopia while I am in the US, but my limited understanding of the biopsy results seem to indicate a need for Chemotherapy. Is that correct?

Is there anything we can do for him now?

At what CD4 count CAN we start treatment and of what kind?

I'm guessing that this would be called Stage IIIb Colon Cancer. Is there any hope of survival at this point? How long might he be expected to live if we can not seek treatment?

Thanks so much.

Your father is seriously ill. His colon cancer is a major threat to his health as is his HIV. I would generally say that he should start HIV therapy even if cancer chemotherapy is to also be administered. The risk of overlapping toxicities depends on the type of medications used but treating both of these life threatening illnesses makes more sense to me than treating one while the pther worsens.

Long ago Exposure recent status positive.
Viral load