I'm overweight and my doctor is no help.

I am a 15yr HIV survivour.I am a 38yr old mother of a 18yr old son.My height is 5'9",my weight is 210lbs.I have talked to my doctor about loosing weight,but she is no help.She tells me you will need this weight when you get sick.Personally I would rather be sick and look the way I want,instead of living looking like a fat woman.Who get the nasty stares and whispers of people who don't know me.I do not have the income to get a tummy tuck or a lipoectomy.My husband doesn't say anything to me,but I know he in his own mind thinks I am fat,as when we see women on the boob tube who are about my height and my weight.Then does he make fun of their weight.Which only makes me feel he thinks the sameway about me.I just don't think he directly says it to me in fear he will get hit.Please help with this problem of mine.

You are not alone. Recent data suggest that being overweight or obese are problems HIVers in the US are increasingly encountering.

I disagree with your doctor. As people with HIV infection continue to benefit from HIV medication it is important that HIV doctors implement measures to prevent cardiovascular disease and cancer among their patients.

Losing weight can help not only your appearance but your health. Being overweight places you at increased risk of heart attack, high blood pressure and diabetes.

If you are in the US, you should join a weight reduction program that uses common sense, not quick fixes. Weight Watchers and similar programs try to help you reduce the number of calories you take in. Fat weight is somewhat like a bank account. There are deposits and withdrawals. Eating deposits fuel that is saved as fat. Exercise uses (ie. withdraws) this energy.

You need to examine your diet and look for unnecessary calories. Soft drinks, cookies, cakes and other sources of concentrated sweets need to be reduced or eliminated and replaced by more vegetables and foods with less calories. Walking, biking (even stationary bike) and swimming can help burn calories.

See what weigh loss resources can be found around you. See a nutritionist. Join a gym. Keep track of what you eat and how many calories you are depositing. You will lose weight.

unboosted reyataz
HIV Subtype