Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Who no mention of the benefits of Spirulina?
Mar 4, 2006

Can someone please explain why after studies have proven (Including studies by the National Cancer Institute) the success in the benefits of Sulfolipids found in blue green micro algae are not mentioned anywhere in your site... either as a treatment or helper while taking meds which have such diverse effects as liver and kidney damage when it could help with these matters in correlation with the meds? It just makes me wonder who's paying you.

Response from Dr. Young

Whoa, wait a minute.

The reason that you've not heard much recently about Spirulina is that there hasn't been much research presented on the topic. The last published article on the topic dates to 1998. To my knowledge, there haven't been studies on the efficacy in humans infected with HIV.

Since that time, there have been thousands of published research articles on dozens of other compounds-- many of which we now call HIV medications-- drugs that have been tested in well designed, prospective randomized clinical trials. Drugs that have proven efficacy and well characterized safety and toxicity profiles. The fact that I believe in such scientific inquiry doesn't mean that I don't continue to savor the possibility of better compounds and drug targets to treat HIV, nor does it mean that this forum exists simply for marketing pharmaceutical products (as your last comment suggests).

Just for the record, I'm paid here by the good folks at TheBody.com. My financials are listed on the site- including funding that comes from pharmaceuticals. If that makes my comments invalid, you can discount what I write. What's not listed is that our office also receives revenue from the Centers for Disease Control and (somewhat) by the insurance companies of my patients and that I take care of patients here and elsewhere, pro bono. BY

Previous
Research Volunteering - Can it hurt?
Next
Antibodies present but not hiv virus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.