Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Research Volunteering - Can it hurt?
Mar 4, 2006

Dr Young:

Ive written to you before and you helped me out.

I am 43yo guy that was originally infected with HIV in Dec 2003 and tested positive in March 2004. Due to my many labs over the past year with VL <50 CD4% at 40% or 800 and CD8s running less than CD4s, the experts believe that I am a non-progressor, I pray they are right. Even you have suggested this to me.

As such, I have been in several ongoing research programs. I am now considering another program, but I have a nurse friend who says its no good for me to give blood or tissue so much. What are your thoughts on this? Am I going to ruin a good thing?

You have always given me what I believe is a straight answer, can you help me out. I like participating in these programs, but I dont want to hurt myself.

thanks

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

At one level, your nurse friend is right-- it does YOU no specific good to donate your blood and/or tissues for clinical research studies, particularly if those studies aren't providing you with medications. Any research study should come with a very detailed description of the study design, the inherent risks and any potential benefits to you-- this is the process called informed consent.

Having said that, the altruism and volunteerism shown to the HIV community by tens of thousands of research volunteers is exactly the reason why we now have approved medications for HIV-- medications that if we can deliver to the global HIV community could save tens of millions of lives. I believe that this is an intangible benefit to the study subject's soul.

So, volunteer to your heart's (or soul's) content. I can't but think that the world would be a better place if more were like you.

Thanks for reading. BY

Previous
Supplements
Next
Who no mention of the benefits of Spirulina?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.