Cryptoccal meningitis and CD4 of 12

My ex boyfriend entered the hospital last week with cryptoccal meningitis. We suspected he might be positive (I was diagnosed last March but he kept putting off treatment) but we were shocked when he had a CD4 of 12. Two questions... 1. What is the realistic prognosis for getting CD4 >250 after such a severe OI? 2. Would there be any treatment advantage to him moving to where I live (Chicago) from where he is now (small/medium Bible belt city)?

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear about your ex. It's entirely possible that he can recover from cryptococcal meningitis, provided that he gets good medical care and follow up. Yes, he can get a CD4 count greater than 250, though it may take some time and work with adherence.

As for selecting a doctor, it's very clear to me that patients with AIDS do best with doctors who know what they're doing-- to this end, I'd look for an experienced HIV doc (check with the local AIDS service organization or the AAHIVM website to search). It's possible that he may have such a doctor in his region, but should that not be the case, getting an outside consultant- perhaps in Chicago, wouldn't be the worse thing to do.

Good luck, BY

if a person was newly diagnoseed in this day and age
CD4's & Viral Load counts