Mar 2, 2006
In regards to the individual who wanted to take testosterone to increase muscle bulk but did not suffer from low testosterone, my recommendation is to check the diet first.
As an experienced body builder (HIV+ by the way), I can tell you that the following items are needed for building muscle (sorted by importance).
1. diet (60%...yes 60%) 2. working out correctly with proper form and weight...most men try to lift too much and lose their form which destroys the benefit of the exercise (25%) 3. sleep...8 hours is best (15%)
I hear a lot of people with HIV taking steroids, and unless your testosterone is low or you are suffering from wasting due to past medications, it just isn't necessary! Even when a person is on steroids, the steroids would still rank dead last in the list I created above (and diet would actually become even MORE important).
I realize this is isn't a question, but I hope for anyone out there considering steroids just for vanity's sake...think again. It's all about the diet! (on or off steroids) Unless you've exploited the items I listed above, steroids would be of little use anyway and could jeopardize your health.
Response from Dr. Wohl
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Long Can Hiv Live In Dried Blood?
- How Soon Will Men Develop Symptoms From Thrush?
- How Far Apart Are Hepatitis B Vaccines Given?
- The Natural Reservoir For Hepatitis Viruses
- What Percent Is The Chance Of Getting Hep C From Razors?
- Can You Get Hep C From Drinking Out Of A Cup Or Eating From Someone's Plate?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.