testosterone

I have been positive for a number of years and my viral load is undectable and I lift weights, I am wanting to build bigger muscles and want to take testosterone but my doctor wont prescribe it. My testosterone is in the normal range in my blood work when its done. what are the side effects if any and why cannot I not take additional hormone replacement(testosterone?

Your doc is to be commended. She/he is correct that there is a downside to testosterone supplementation in the absence of androgen deficiency.

Testosterone can cause fat wasting (lipoatrophy) which can lead to the type of changes that people on d4T have experienced. Hollowed out cheeks, skinny arms and legs, wasted buttocks can all develop.

Testosterone excess can also lead to mood changes. Acne can also develop. Increases in prostate specific antigen (PSA), a test for prostate cancer, has been associated with testosterone and if there are cancer cells in your prostate these may proliferate with excess testosterone.

I am not an expert on lifting but the way I hear it bulk can be had without steroids. It just takes more work and sweat. Lift more.

And, please don't forget to re-rack your weights.

Word of Hope
Hiv affected liver? so bad?