Should I avoid Sustiva?

I saw a new doctor who is wanting to get me off the unboosted Reyataz/Truvada and instead go with Sustiva/Truvada. However I am a little worried. I have a history of depression, attempted suicide a long time ago, and am a former cutter. I heard that people with psychiatric problems are more apt to experience problems with sustiva, is this true? I also occasionally pick up third shift to cover for someone, since I was told to take it in the evening, would this cause a problem?

Thanks for your post.

I'm like many doctors who tend to avoid the use of efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) in patients with serious psychiatric illness, despite prospective studies that don't show significant long-term mental health issues with the drug. This is because of anecdotal reports and experiences with flairs of depression in patients while taking the product.

In your circumstance, because of the history of depression, suicide attempt and the rotating shift work, I don't feel that efavirenz would be the best antiretroviral medication for you.

There are several alternative strategies-- first, you could simply add ritonavir (Norvir) to your current regimen of atazanavir (Reyataz) and Truvada. This would overcome the negative drug-drug interaction between the later two drugs. Another approach would be to use a nevirapine (Viramune) in place of the 'taz (or in place of efavirenz). This should be done with caution if your CD4 count is "higher" (>250 in women, >400 in men) because of increased risk of liver toxicity, but otherwise is very well tolerated.

Lastly, a switch from Truvada to the other once-daily combo nuke, Epzicom might make sense. Save for the abacavir HSR allergic reaction, the drug is very well tolerated and dosen't have the drug interaction that Truvada has with atazanavir. The resulting regimen would have the same low pill count (3 daily), once-daily dosing and avoids the use of ritonavir.

Which to use? I'd discuss the options with your doctor--

Good luck, let us know what you decide.. BY

Over active liver enzyme and eye floaters
Should I start Treatment?