|hiv-1 and hiv-2
Jan 30, 2006
i have been diagnosed t have hiv-2 what does that mean? whats the difference with hiv-1? And finally whwt does it mean to have a cd4 count of 588?
| Response from Dr. Pierone
HIV 2 is a virus which is closely related virus to HIV- 1. HIV-2 was originally transmitted to humans from the Sooty Mangaby (or African Green Monkey) as opposed to the Chimpanzee for HIV-1. HIV-2 is still largely confined to Africa, but has made some inroads in Europe.
From a clinical perspective HIV-2 tends to progress more slowly and infected patients may maintain higher CD4 counts (like yours) for an extended period of time. This virus has innate resistance to several of the antiretroviral agents that are commonly used but it can be successfully treated with HAART.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Probability Of Getting HIV From Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Burning Urethra After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Night Sweats After Oral Sex Hooker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sinus Infection After Swallowing Cum Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Unprotected Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.