The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

need advice........

Jan 29, 2006

my t cell count it's 875 and my viral load remains undectectable,which its the best way to keep those numbers or make then better any vitamins? Thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Wohl

Three things, assuming you are on HIV meds: adherence, adherence and adherence.

Take your meds and you should stay this way for a long time. How long? Don't know, but some of the first studies of potent HIV meds have followed people 5 to 7 years and many of these people are still doing great with undetectable viral loads.

If you are not on meds, you are one of the fortunate 'non-progressors'.

In either case, there is nothing to be lost with good nutrition and clean living. Before you put anything (or anyone) inside your body ask if it will help or hurt in your body's fight against HIV. If it does not pass the test, pass on it.

There has been very little to support a particular vitamin, herb or alternative therapy when it comes to HIV - although for many of these treatments studies simply have not been done. But, nothing has ever been shown to come close to equaling what potent HIV therapy has produced. (I am a plain old regular allopathic medicine doctor and when you go to Midas, you get a muffler.)

My advice is to see a good doctor and follow most of what she/he says, read to keep educated and treat yourself well.


pot belly
taking hiv meds with liquid food

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint