My daugthter and me

Please help us. My daughter is 9 years old and currently on medication as she is hi+ at present she is taking retrovir,viracept, and epivir. Her paediatrician has told me she has to change her treatment with which she is doing fine with no visible side effects whatsover. They have now adviced me to start her on sustiva and combivir. i am very worried about possible side effects and if they could affect her in any way and also if in your opinion this is the best possible combination for a 9 years old. SUSTIVA 2 tablets at night and 2 combivir tablets twice a day. Please answer me as I am very frightened for her.Up till now she's been absolutely healthy. I would like your advice on my own medication at present i take combivir and viramune> i suffer from lipodystrophy especially on my legs which have very bulging veins and very skinny. My doctor has now recommended I take viramune adn truvada (emtricitavina and tenofivir), Do you think this is a good combination and should I see an improvement in my legs. Thank you so much for reading my long letter

Regarding your daughter it is unclear to me also why the doctor wants to change her therapy. Typically, a change is recommended if the T cell count starts to fall and/or the viral load increases. Additionally, side effects or problems taking the medications can motivate a change.

I would be reluctant to change this regimen if she has been doing well on it for a prolonged period of time. Viracept is not the most potent of the HIV drugs and it has not performed as well as Sustiva in clinical trials but again, if she has shown that it is effective for her I would not modify this regimen without evidence of a problem as it risks new side effects. Close monitoring can help catch any treatment failure early.

Also, if there is a reason for the change and you decide to follow this advice I would check on the doses of the medication as 2 Combivir twice a day can not be correct.

For you, a change from Combivir to Truvada makes sense. It may not lead to a lot of fat gain in your limbs but it will help prevent it from getting worse. Truvada is a good medication that should be as effective as Combivir but without the fat loss.

If you have more infomation about your daughter please feel free to email again.

Staying in contact with former partner
tired of dealing with this