Jan 24, 2006
Hi. Just wondered if you could explain the difference please between "mixed virus and dual-tropic virus. Thanks and all the best. S
Response from Dr. Young
This topic refers to what HIV co-receptor(s) the virus uses to enter CD4 cells. There are two HIV coreceptors, called CCR5 ("R5") and CXCR4 ("X4"). A mixed virus means that there is a mixed population of viruses, some that use exclusively R5 and others that use exclusively X4. A dual-tropic virus refers to viruses that can use either R5 or X4 to enter. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Urine After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Red Spots After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Chills After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Rash After Deep Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Foreplay Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Swallowing Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.