Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how long can i live
Jan 23, 2006

I did my test in June, went for results August, did first viral load and cd4 test Sept/Oct. My counts were cd4326 percentage 23.5 and viral at 7810.

I did a test in November and I dont have my viral load yet but my cd4 up to 386 and percentage 25. What if I had started medication, wouldn't that have been premature?

I know it is an individualized illness, but how long can I live? My doctor says hiv is no longer a death sentence but what exactly does that mean? Is it possible I could go a few years without going on medications? I am now taking Dr. Kaiser's K-pax vitamins. How long could I live on drugs? Is it possible I could really have 30 years? I am now 33.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Your lab results illustrate why I always recommend getting at least two sets of labs prior to making a decision to start treatment or to wait.

Both of your labs show a CD4 count that is roughly at a level that starting treatment can be considered-- I wouldn't want you to draw any significant conclusions on the differences between the two CD4 tests. Hence, it wouldn't have been premature to start on the basis of either test; nor is it mandatory to start either. Yes, it's an individualized disease.

That said, assuming that you have a wild type virus (drug resistance tests showing no resistance), then you have a wide variety of individualized options to treat your virus-- medications that when you and your doctor ultimately decide to start- should be very well tolerated and cause minimal to no side effects. If you're able to access and adhere to medications, I do expect lengthy survival- certainly 30 years, but that depends on lots of other factors, like your genes, your tobacco consumption or other health issues.

I hope this helps, good luck and be well. BY

Previous
Delaying meds
Next
Recently diagonised

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.