Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Delaying meds
Jan 22, 2006

I discovered I was HIV pos from a blood test for life insurance in Dec 2005. A "home" test was negative April 2005. Have a viral load of 278 and CD4 count of 400 (lab normal range is 410-1000 the lower end of which seems low, most labs normal ranges seem to be above 600). I am 55, no health problems All other labs were normal. I've been told to do nothing and recheck in three months. Is this ok with a low CD4 count. What is the most likely future scenario. thanks.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

You have a normal CD4 count and a very, very low viral load. If confirmed by subsequent test, this means that you'll likely have slower than average decline in your CD4 counts (and lower risk of AIDS complications).

I'd agree in rechecking your labs and clinical status in 3 months (and probably every 3 months thereafter).

Good health to you. BY

Previous
Countdown
Next
how long can i live

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.