group O, please help

Dr young, I find you very brilliant and research oriented. The problem I post also requires some latest information on HAART. I find you are the best person to answer it :)

one of my friend in asia has been tested positive for group O clad. Is there any medicine he can take ? I heard group O is resistant to NRTI's ? Are PI's the only solution ? Does that mean he cant have a cocktail regimen ?

Thanks for your post and kind words.

I'm certainly no expert on group O (fyi, not "clade O") HIV, but my read of the literature confirms what you've stated-- namely that many group O HIV isolates have resistance to NNRTIs at baseline.

By constrast and relief, it appears that NRTIs and protease inhibitors have activity as does T2) (Fuzeon). Additionally, the investigational second-generation NNRTI TMC-125 has activity against group O strains. Taken together, this means that a combination "cocktail" should indeed be possible to construct-- the HIV research group in Madrid has published some of their experiences to this effect.

If your friend were in the US (or were my patient here), I'd be looking for a combined genotype/phenotype prior to treatment to help guide therapy decisions (as I do with patients with unusual, non-B clade HIV).

Thanks for reading. I hope this is helpful. BY

Med. Change from Epivir/Viread to Truvada
odds