Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

group O, please help
Jan 22, 2006

Dr young, I find you very brilliant and research oriented. The problem I post also requires some latest information on HAART. I find you are the best person to answer it :)

one of my friend in asia has been tested positive for group O clad. Is there any medicine he can take ? I heard group O is resistant to NRTI's ? Are PI's the only solution ? Does that mean he cant have a cocktail regimen ?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post and kind words.

I'm certainly no expert on group O (fyi, not "clade O") HIV, but my read of the literature confirms what you've stated-- namely that many group O HIV isolates have resistance to NNRTIs at baseline.

By constrast and relief, it appears that NRTIs and protease inhibitors have activity as does T2) (Fuzeon). Additionally, the investigational second-generation NNRTI TMC-125 has activity against group O strains. Taken together, this means that a combination "cocktail" should indeed be possible to construct-- the HIV research group in Madrid has published some of their experiences to this effect.

If your friend were in the US (or were my patient here), I'd be looking for a combined genotype/phenotype prior to treatment to help guide therapy decisions (as I do with patients with unusual, non-B clade HIV).

Thanks for reading. I hope this is helpful. BY

Previous
Med. Change from Epivir/Viread to Truvada
Next
odds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.