STARTING MEDS; CAN YOU STAY ON LINE?

I AM 40 YEARS OLD MAN FROM SWEDEN HIV POSITVE SINCE 1998.NEXT SONDAY 1 JANUARY 2006 I AM GOING TO START TREATMENT WITH BOOSTED REYATAZ(2*150MG REYATAZ,100 MG NORVIR 300MG EPVIR AND 245MG VIREAD) ONCE A DAY.MY LAB IN LAST SEBTEMBER WAS CD4 281 % 15 V.L 142000 COPIES.I HAVE A STAYABLE HEALTH CONDITION BUT MY GENETAL HARPES USED TO REAKOUT ALMOST VERY MONTH.I HAVE NEVER BEEN ANY TREATMENT BUT I AM RESISTANCE TO NNTI(SUSTVA VIRAMUNE ECT.)MY DOCTOR BELIVIES THAT I WAS INFECTED WITH RESISTANCE VIRUS.WITH IN TWO YEARS I LOST OVER 16% OF MY WEIGHT AND I AM ON ZOLOFT (50GM ONCE A DAY)FOR DEPRETION.MY DOCTOR'S CHOICE WAS KALATRA AND COMBVIR BUT I AM SCARED OF THE TOXICTY OF THIS COMBO. NOW MY QUESTION ARE; 1.I BEG YOU TO STAY ON LINE IN CASE I NEED HELP 2.WHAT IS YOUR OPNION ON THIS MEDICATION 3. AM I IN THE FRIST LINE TREATMENT OR IN THE SECOND LINE. 4.HOW CAN I MINIMAZE RISK OF GETING YELLOW EYES OR/AND SKIN FROM SIDE EFFECT OF REYATAZ. 4.WHICH FOOD SHOULD I AVOID AT THE TIME OF TAKING MY MEDICINE. THANKS IN ADVANCE. DAV.

Thanks for your post.

1) No begging required. We're always here.

2) This is one of the more popular first-line regimens. The use of boosted PIs has become popular with the approval of easier to take, better tolerated PIs, like atazanavir and fosamprenavir. You can read my thoughts about this and other first-line PI regimens on this forum at TheBody.com-- I prefer to use boosted fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir) with tenofovir/FTC (Truvada), because atazanavir (Reyataz) levels are lowered when coadministered with tenofovir (and fosamprenavir's aren't).

3) This numbering system is a bit arbitrary-- you're on YOUR first line treatment, but if your virus has NNRTI resistance, you could say that it's at least a second-line regimen for the VIRUS.

4) A small percentage of persons who take atazanavir will develop yellowing of the eyes (scleral icterus)-- while not medically dangerous, this appearance-related side effect can be significant for some individuals. Staying well hydrated can help minimized the severity of the icterus, should it happen. Reducing the dose of atazanavir, by contrast, is not recommended.

5) There aren't any foods that you need to avoid.

So, Dav-- good luck, keep up with the adherence. BY

HIV/Lymphoma
Reyataz vs Kaletra